This event presents the European Centre for Algorithmic Transparency (ECAT), the first European centre focused on this topic that will put research at direct service of the enforcement of the Digital Service Act (DSA).
The DSA responds to the increasing need to unveil and better understand the technologies that drive platforms business models. The creation of ECAT, by DG CONNECT and the Joint Research Centre, allows the Commission to level-up its technical expertise in the field of data science and algorithms. ECAT will pool top-notch experts to support the Commission’s new tasks as regulator, and will become the reference for research around algorithmic transparency.
You will be able to follow the live streaming of the event on this page, mark it already in your calendar!
Our speakers will take us through the challenges of building a safe online space for all, and unveil how ECAT will be key in getting there.
- 11:00 - 12:00Session I – Presenting ECAT
Several videos will explain the creation and mission of ECAT as the different speakers will address the political context.
- Stephen Quest, Director General, Joint Research Centre
- Roberto Viola, Director General, Communications Networks, Content and Technology
- Gerard de Graaf, Senior EU Envoy for Digital to the US and Head of the EU Delegation to San Francisco
- Carme Artigas, Secretary of State for Digitization and Artificial Intelligence of Spain
- Antonio Muñoz, Mayor of Seville
- Representative of Andalusian regional government
- Rumman Chowdhury, Head of Parity Consulting and Responsible AI Fellow at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
- Francesca Bria, European Digital Policy Expert, President of the Italian National Innovation Fund
- Krishna Gummadi, European Lab for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS)
- 12:45 - 13:30Session II – Dive into ECAT’s work
JRC scientists and experts from partner research centres in other Member States will display the work they are doing in an interactive and plural presentation.
- 18-19 April 2023ECAT Community - Workshop
Scientists and experts working at ECAT will cooperate with industry representatives, academia, and civil society organisations to improve our understanding of how algorithms work: they will analyse transparency, assess risks, and propose new transparent approaches and best practices.
In this physical workshop after the main event, interested partners and experts from other organisations will have the opportunity to present their work and interact with the ECAT team and other participants, to start building a community ensuring a broad-based, collective approach to algorithmic transparency.
Meet our speakers
Date: 18 April 2023
Venue: Metropol Parasol - Las Setas, Seville, Spain
In case you have any further questions, please contact us at EC-ECAT@ec.europa.eu