Update: Deadline for applications extended until 4 January 2024.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is looking for a Scientific Project Officer - Software Engineering & Architecture to join ECAT within the Algorithmic Transparency Unit.
The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary and multicultural team working at ECAT, acting as a lead software engineer within the scientific team responsible for monitoring online platform compliance with the Digital Services Act.
We are looking for a software and data engineer with a keen interest in supporting EU digital policies. Candidates should have the following experience/skills:
- A university degree and at least 3 years of professional experience or a PhD (doctoral diploma) in disciplines relevant to this vacancy such as computer science, data science, artificial intelligence or engineering.
- Excellent software development skills, especially in Python. Experience developing production-grade software tools, libraries and frameworks.
- Solid knowledge of software architecture principles and best practices, and experience with DevOps practices and tools.
- Very good (C1 level) knowledge of English.
Any of the following skills and experience would be desirable:
- Experience leading and managing software projects and teams.
- Experience using, customising and integrating modern AI libraries and models within software projects.
- Experience using and developing web scraping libraries and tools, or frameworks for mobile application and browser automation.
- Experience developing and maintaining high-performance and scalable scientific code, including using low-level languages and heterogeneous computing architectures.
- Experience analysing complex source code or reverse engineering software systems, including web and mobile applications or other software systems and APIs.
- Experience working with large unstructured datasets, and strong knowledge of modern data engineering practices and tools.
The successful candidate’s main tasks may include, among others:
- Designing, developing, testing and deploying software applications, libraries and frameworks, e.g. for the inspection of AI. systems and other complex algorithms.
- Leading and coordinating the work of small software development teams.
- Acting as a technical interface to scientists, policy and legal experts, e.g. to define and scope software engineering projects.
- Participating in DSA supervision and enforcement activities and investigations.
What we offer
Type of contract: Contractual Agent, Function Group IV (article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants)
Duration of contract: 36 months (renewable up to maximum 6 years)
Place of employment: Seville (ES), Ispra (IT) or Brussels (BE). Please indicate in your application your preferred place(s) of employment.
How to apply
You will be requested to register through EU login. If you don't have a EU login account, sign up here.
If you are already on a valid CAST FG IV reserve list, or you have already applied to one of the calls below, you can directly submit your application at: http://recruitment.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?type=AX.
If not, before applying to this position, you must register for one of the two following:
- the Call for Expressions of Interest | EU Careers (europa.eu) (CAST Permanent FG IV), which is used by a wide range of organisations (institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union), or
- the specialised call for researchers (JRC Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research), which is mainly used by the JRC.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 04/01/2023 23:59 Brussels time
- Publication date
- 5 December 2023
- Joint Research Centre