Update: Deadline for applications extended until 15 November 2023.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is looking to incorporate Scientific Project Officers on AI and Algorithmic System Inspections to join the ECAT project within the Algorithmic Transparency Unit.
This position includes working at the intersection between scientific research and policy-making, as part of an interdisciplinary and multicultural team of applied researchers.
We are looking for two researchers with a keen interest in supporting EU digital policies and the following experience/skills:
- A university degree and at least 2 years of professional experience or a PhD (doctoral diploma) in disciplines relevant to this vacancy such as computer science, artificial intelligence or engineering.
- Practical experience in the design, development and/or evaluation of algorithmic systems such as AI-based content recommendation, moderation and search systems.
- Very good (C1 level) knowledge of English.
Any of the following skills and experience would be desirable:
- Experience in performing algorithm inspection, auditing or testing activities, or analysing their risks and impact on society and individuals.
- In-depth knowledge of the architecture and lifecycle of large-scale algorithms, such as those used by online platforms and search engines.
- Excellent software engineering and development skills; ability to develop, maintain and deploy production-grade data science and AI libraries, tools and applications in Python.
The successful candidate’s main tasks may include, among others:
- defining – and applying in real-world settings – new methodologies and tools for the analysis, inspection and auditing of complex state-of-the-art algorithms and AI systems;
- defining and implementing practical experiments to assess the societal risks posed by online platforms’ algorithms, producing evidence about their impact on users and society;
- analysing information provided by large online platforms and search engines, such as technical information, risks assessments and mitigations, and audit reports;
- direct participation in DSA supervision and enforcement activities and investigations.
Type of contract: Contractual Agent, Function Group IV (article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants)
Duration of contract: 36 months (renewable up to maximum 6 years)
Place of employment: Seville (ES), Ispra (IT) or Brussels (BE). Please indicate in your application your preferred place(s) of employment.
How to apply
You will be requested to register through EU login. If you don't have a EU login account, sign up here.
If you are already on a valid CAST FG IV reserve list, or you have already applied to one of the calls below, you can directly submit your application at: http://recruitment.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?type=AX.
If not, before applying to this position, you must register for one of the two following:
- the Call for Expressions of Interest | EU Careers (europa.eu) (CAST Permanent FG IV), which is used by a wide range of organisations (institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union), or
- the specialised call for researchers (JRC Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research), which is mainly used by the JRC.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15/11/2023 23:59 Brussels time
- Publication date
- 31 October 2023
- Joint Research Centre